Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Kenya I : What is happening?




Lately, I have been doing alot of thinking. (I have a friend, Titus, who at this point would have said "Finally, you are thinking". Titus, you are funny. ;)  I always think). I have been thinking about what my country, Kenya, has been going through. I returned home this month to witness shocking events and mishaps.

Apparently, there have been two communities that have been fighting for cattle (yes, it is happening in the 21st century...and no, the cattle they are fighting for isn't what you are thinking of. They are fighting for malnourished cows and camels). The Kenyan government thought that it would be a noble deed to send some policemen (I think they were administration police), 42 of them to the battle-field. I am shaking as am writing this because what happened still haunts me everytime I remember that I am a Kenyan, and that I have always been proud of the Kenyan government. The 42 policemen were mercilessly massacred in a shooting-spree.

More recently, 3 Kenyan defense soldiers were shot in a town called Garissa.The death of the 3 soldiers angered the whole defense force and they unleashed their rage on the residents of Garissa. They burnt businesses, residential houses, shot and killed the innocent residents of Garissa. The soldiers raped women and children (this is one of the reasons I detest, and I always will, men.) I have a friend, Mohammed, who works and resides in Garissa.  He told me about how ugly the scene was.

This is just a summary of the unfortunate events that have been happening to our country. This series of events have led to travel sanctions and warning by most countries. Subsequently, foreign direct investment in Kenya is limited.

I cry for Kenya, the ICT hub of Africa, the blessed land...I pray for you , Kenya.

My message to my fellow Kenyans:

We are one people, it is not an accident that we all found ourselves in this beautiful land. God did not make a mistake when he let all the 42 tribes to reside in one country.   And so, even as there is no doubt that Kenyans will have different views and opinions, millions in fact – that is fine.  As we are about to have our national elections, let us observe peace. As much as you might not agree with your neighbour's opinion or choice, respect them. Don't attack them. We have had enough tragedy as of now. We don't want any more drama or loss of lives.

 If we seek a dignified society, we must embody that dignity and grant the same to others.

We are one people.

Kenya moja, sisi ni wenye nchi. Tuishi kwa amani.
(One Kenya, we are the owners of the country. Let's live in peace)

God bless you and God bless Kenya.

2 comments:

  1. what u xay is true..and come to think of it the politician from Turkana community standing up and claiming that their community was targeted by the police who in their self defense they eliminated thats the hieght of impunity and seemingly we are inn to see more of this as politicians are crisscrossing the coutry looking for votes.
    Anyway my message to everyone out there is we should not allow ourselves to be used lets stamp our authority and tribalism not divide us int cacoons.Kenya is bigger than our personal interests!

    ReplyDelete