Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Independent Girl: Part 1

It is just over 6 months since I moved out of my parents' house, and I vividly remember how overly excited I was. (Please refer to my post  Independence... I love it for more information.) I thank God that I have made it this far.

I have learnt so much, and matured as well, from the independence I craved for. First, I moved from my parents' house to a small studio apartment. All I had was a bed (bought it from my savings), and beddings from campus. With that, I was enthusiastic about life and nothing would hold me back from getting the independence I wanted.

My experience in my studio apartment was average (I hate average). I loved the furnish that was in the apartment, the hot shower, and the lorent that came with it. I had some problems with the apartment... for instance, I had a noisy neighbour that used to bring a new lady to his house every night... and you can imagine what used to happen-and the noise I would hear at night ;).  I was on the ground-floor of the building complex. Kids would come play at  my door - and make so much noise. This basically means that my days and nights were never quiet. I didn't like it at all. My apartment was not safe either.

I didn't like the fact that I had no laundry-lines of my own (I live in Africa where we wash our clothes by hand - but this is going to change for me, soon). I had to walk a distance to hang my clothes. I hated that.

I know that you are probably wondering why am describing my experience in the past-tense. Well, I moved out of that studio apartment after 3 months.

I moved to another apartment in a building near my old building complex. I this apartment. It is bigger, private, and spacious. I thank God for it and everything in it. I will spend a longer time in it than I did in my studio apartment.

My experience as an independent woman has been great. I have learnt that life doesn't have to be perfect, it is OK to have weak moments  and that it is OK to cry. I have also learnt the value of people, that life would be boring without people, and that some people (especially women and children) are victims of circumstances. It is up to me, and you my friends, to help them. I have learnt to help people, to give them a shoulder to cry on, and to cry with them. It doesn't matter if you ate or slept hungry at night, or if you slept on a cold floor because during the day, we experience the same sun (or rain, or whatever the weather), we breathe the same air, and we live in the same planet.

I have learnt to fully trust in God, and letting Him know my plans.

I still have the enthusiasm I had when I first moved out, and I hope that my parents are proud of the bold move I made.



(watch out for part 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment