Monday, April 23, 2012

INDEPENDENCE...I LOVE IT

According to my previous post entitled “Enlightment”, I stated that I was contemplating moving out to my own place. Well, I just did that early this year. It is coolJ. Of course I will not tell you the exact place I am staying- for security reasons. I will, however, let you know how it is like living by yourself.

 At the outskirts of Nairobi, is a small apartment- a bed-sitter, my place. I really struggled looking for it. I had, however, made up my mind that I had to find my own place before I completed school (Yes, am finally done with my undergrad). Going back to my parents’ house was not an option. It was not even in my mind.

I moved my stuff to my small apartment as soon as I acquired it. I bought a bed and a mattress (-very expensive). I paid my bills- electricity and water (both pre-paid). What I really liked (and still do) about my house was the hot shower. I couldn’t wait to take a shower from my house.

My first night in my house was cool. I had managed to buy a TV on that day and I was eager to watch and take the hot shower. I was very scared though. I was worried about my security (am no longer scared, I have cool neighbours who look out for each other).  I slept at 10:00pm. The night was great, I had a goodnight sleep. It was far much better than the nights at school or even at my parents’ house.
The first morning was cool. It was a public holiday and I was not in a hurry to wake up, although I still woke up early (I am a morning person). I took the hot shower- lasted for around 45 minutesJ. Unfortunately, I had not bought cooking gas and I had to go to a restaurant for breakfast.
Basically, I love the independence…I love the fact that I can do that which I want to do whenever I want to do. There’s no one to bug me about their stuff or doing my duties. I love the fact that I have my own space and my own privacy.  I can decide what I’ll have for lunch or supper. If I leave money on the table, I will still find there.

If I want to stay up late watching TV or studying, I can do so without interfering with anyone. I pay for my own bills and I buy my own assets. I don’t depend on anyone (except for God).
I make my own rules in my house. I decide what should be done and what should not be done in my house. One of the rules of my house that I like is: "No alien is allowed in my house- not even a plumber; I will do it myself". I am in control of my house. I actually bought a book titled "Total Control" by David Baldacci. It is the book that I am currently reading. I love the book.

All this independence comes at a cost. The costs include the fact that I have to pay rent and other utilities. I have to take care of my health by eating healthy food and dressing warmly. I still want to further my studies - that means that I have to save for my education-my future. At the same time, I need more assets for my house. This is where the Accounting, Economics and Finance I learnt in school comes in. I have to budget for every single dime that I have. That is not fun at allL.
If I leave my house in a mess, I will still find it in the same state. There's no one to pick after me. Its ok. I like that.

I had mosquitoes disturbing me during the initial stages of my independence. I have, however, sorted that out...I have a mosquito net. No more mosquitoes.
 With all the pros and cons that come with independence, heck I love it. I love it. I enjoy every day of my life. I know that I have only one life and that it is too short, I have to live it to the fullest. 


7 comments:

  1. Great Blog there you have I like it. 'Aliens' are not actually enemies you may need them when you are in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Wencer. Tell me, Wencer, what kind of trouble would make me need any alien?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss independent, l like the attitude but learn also to appreciate the warmth of other people around you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspiring keep moving! No looking back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. living the dream i see....does "aliens" include pesky friends who only come for tea if it has maziwa! hehe! CONGRATULATIONS girl, i am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. living the dream i see....does "aliens" include pesky friends who only come for tea if it has maziwa! hehe! I am so proud of you, CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete